Safety and Environmental Engineer
Purpose of job
To develop and maintain System Safety and Environmental Cases for AEUK Products, Systems and Services (PSS) to ensure that all residual risks to personnel and the environment are deemed acceptably safe and environmentally compliant.
Safety, Sustainability and Environmental Team Leader/ Head of Engineering Integration/ Head of Engineering Division
Dorset Innovation Park, Winfrith
At Atlas Elektronik UK, we support our staff to create work-life balance and encourage applications from
individuals who are looking for part time or condensed hours as well as full time opportunities.
Outline of knowledge, skills and personal qualities required across the range of roles and examples of the types of application shown below.
Training and development relating to the specific job role will be provided.
- Develop and maintain safety and environmental cases for complex maritime systems, compliant to relevant legislation, appropriate domain standards and user/system requirement specification.
- Identify and assess intrinsic and functional hazards using industry recognised qualitative and quantitative techniques including: Hazard and Operability Study (HAZOPS), Structured What-If Technique (SWIFT), Fault Tree Analysis (FTA), Event Tree Analysis (ETA), Failure Modes, Effects and Criticality Analysis (FMECA).
- Support product integrity and certification requirements, including assigning Safety Integrity Levels in accordance with IEC 61508 or equivalent.
- Identify environmental aspects and impacts using industry recognised techniques such as Environmental Impact Screening and Scoping and Environmental Impact Management.
- Influence system design through development of derived safety & environmental requirements and track these through to implementation to assess measures of performance through validation and verification activities.
- Manage ongoing safety hazards through hazard management tools such as Bow-Tie XP, Adelard, Harms and eCassandra and environmental aspects and impacts within Environmental Features Matrices.
- Collate and articulate structured and robust compliance arguments from diverse sources of information using recognised techniques (e.g. Goal Structured Notation and Claims Argument Evidence) and present these within safety & environmental case documentation.
- Prepare and deliver effective and engaging multi-stakeholder safety and environmental meetings, including the production of high quality presentation materials and minutes.
Knowledge and experience (will be developed in the job role if not held)
- Up-to-date with latest developments in safety and environmental legislation, best practice, tools and techniques. This is to include the UK MOD Safety & Environmental framework, including DSA01.1, DSA02-DMR and supporting JSPs and operating domain specific arrangements.
- Proficient in supporting system compliance against applicable defence standards, notably the latest issues of Defence Standard 00-051, Defence Standard 00-055 and Defence Standard 00-056.
- Proficient in using frameworks such as the Acquisition Safety and Environmental Management System (ASEMS), Project Oriented Safety Management System (POSMS) and Project Oriented Environmental Management System (POEMS).
- Awareness of reliability engineering and data Integrity.
- Full proficiency in the use of MS Office toolset and SharePoint.
Qualifications and Membership
- An academic qualification to at least degree level in a relevant engineering-related discipline, or extensive experience in a marine engineering environment.
- Membership of a professional engineering organisation, or working towards Incorporated or Chartered Engineering registration.
- Working as a part of a team in a changing environment, meeting sometimes challenging timescales.
- Reliably and proactively delivering on multiple projects simultaneously to time, budget and quality.
Key accountabilities may include
- Managing and reporting of safety and environmental tasks.
- Support bidding activity by providing estimated costs and timescales for safety and environmental activities.
- Implementing and maintaining AEUK’s Safety Engineering policy and process to ensure it meets the needs of AEUK and its customers and complies with relevant legislation.
- Working with the ILS Team Leader, Safety & Environmental Engineering Manager, Product Managers, System Design Authorities, Technical Leads, Integrated Logistic Support (ILS) Managers and the other Safety & Environmental Engineer to ensure that safety and environmental factors are considered for all PSS at every stage in the product lifecycle and that products are developed with safety and the environment as the highest priority.
- Work with system experts to uncover potential system safety and environmental issues.
Enquiring mind with the ability to draw out information from a holistic array of sources.
Personal drive and a proactive problem solver.
Flexible approach to work and can-do attitude.
Strong verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills.
The successful candidate must be able to achieve full SC (Security Clearance). Must be prepared to travel to other sites at various locations within the UK and out of the UK. Must hold a full UK driving licence.
How to apply
Please forward your CV and a covering letter explaining why you are suitable for the post to Recruitment
Due to the nature of our work and the projects you will be working on, all candidates must be eligible to gain security clearance. ATLAS ELEKTRONIK UK Ltd is an Equal Opportunities employer and welcomes applications for all posts from suitably qualified people regardless of age, disability, ethnicity, gender, marital status, sexual orientation, religion or belief.
Only successful applicants will be contacted.
Dorset DT2 8ZB