Senior Research Engineer
Purpose of job
ATLAS ELEKTRONIK UK’s Research and Innovation Division is an agile division engaged in cutting edge research within the underwater defence domain. We work closely with our customers to create new capability which protects lives at sea. Our programmes are varied in scope and discipline, so we are considering experienced applicants with a variety of skills.
The division’s teams span underwater acoustics, non-acoustics, maritime mine countermeasures and applied technologies.
With no two days the same, research roles at ATLAS ELEKTRONIK UK will provide you with the opportunity to be involved in developing research concepts, often via simulation, design, build, test and data analysis of prototype systems, such that they may be evaluated for future capability. The job involves time “out in the field”, conducting science trials, developing prototypes or first of class systems or even working onboard naval platforms setting to work equipment and training ships staff. We are seeking a Senior Research Engineer to support and lead R&D programmes within the Division. Applicants are expected to be dynamic, innovative, resourceful, committed and have a track record of successfully planning, coordinating and delivering research programmes.
Reports to Team Leader
Dorset Innovation Park, Winfrith
At Atlas Elektronik UK, we support our staff to create work-life balance and encourage applications from individuals who are looking for part time or condensed hours as well as full time opportunities.
Knowledge, skills and personal qualities required
You don’t have to have specific maritime defence domain knowledge or experience. However, a keen interest in the topic is desirable.
Required knowledge and skills include:
- Degree in engineering or maths/science related subject (e.g. physics), supported by relevant experience in industryUse of scientific computational software such as Matlab or Python
- Good understanding of mechanical/electrical/electronic systems and how they integrate
- Capable of selecting and then setting up measurement/instrumentation systems for assessing equipment under test with an appreciation for the accuracy, precision and limitations of the instrumentation used
- Ability to manage and manipulate large amounts of data such that meaningful trends, relationships and conclusions can be brought out
- Competent with MATLAB, SimuLink and/or LabVIEW (preferable but not essential)
- Knowledge of naval systems and their interactions with the natural environment (preferable but not essential)
- Capable of working with engineers and scientists from other organisations and applying a strong team focus to achieve desired outcomes when working out in the field
- Ability to work independently at times under own initiative
- Willingness to travel in the UK and overseas
- Highly self-motivated, innovative thinker, with determination to succeed
- Thorough and conscientious
- Flexible and adaptable
- Keen and quick to obtain, develop, extend and apply skills and knowledge
- Identifies opportunities and understands how expertise can be more widely applied
- Working collaboratively with specialists from a variety of disciplines
- Working with stakeholders from across the business to support development and delivery of customer solutions
- Communicating technical findings and concepts to a range of expert and non-expert stakeholders within AEUK and the customer community
- Assimilating output from technical analysis to form clear and coherent advice to inform stakeholders and key decision makers
- Providing technical leadership on multi-disciplinary research projects
- Actively supporting the professional development of junior staff members’ accountabilities
Key accountabilities may include
- Leading and delivering programmes against Work Package Agreements to time, cost and high quality
- Supporting bid responses from within the research team
- Working with technical experts and AEUK stakeholders to deliver projects, identify opportunities and win new work
- Building relationships with customers and stakeholders
This role will require full UK security clearance and you should have resided in the UK for the past 5 years. For some roles Developed Vetting will also be required, in this case you should have resided in the UK for the past 10 years.
How to apply
Please forward your CV and a covering letter explaining why you are suitable for the post to Recruitment
Due to the nature of our work and the projects you will be working on, all candidates must be eligible to gain security clearance. ATLAS ELEKTRONIK UK Ltd is an Equal Opportunities employer and welcomes applications for all posts from suitably qualified people regardless of age, disability, ethnicity, gender, marital status, sexual orientation, religion or belief.
Only successful applicants will be contacted.
Dorset DT2 8ZB